Car Accident Lawyer Alpharetta, GA
If you’ve been hurt in a car crash, you may want to speak with a car accident lawyer Alpharetta, GA residents trust. You may be eligible to receive compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages and other damages. A lawyer can help you pursue a timely claim against the negligent party.
How Speeding Can Cause a Car Accident
Speeding is one of the most common causes of car accidents in Georgia. It’s a very dangerous practice, yet some drivers still choose to drive above the speed limit. Here are a few ways speeding can cause a car accident.
- Speeding decreases stopping time. If you drive above the speed limit, you may not have enough time to stop and avoid hazards. For example, if you’re driving very fast, you may be more likely to crash into oncoming vehicles or debris on the road.
- Speeding can make you lose control. When you’re behind the wheel of a vehicle, it’s important to have complete control at all times. However, if you’re speeding, you may lose some of your control. You may be more likely to get into a rollover accident.
- Speeding can cause safety features to not function properly. Driving above the speed limit can also have a negative effect on your car’s safety features. For example, your airbags might not work correctly if you’re traveling at a very high speed.
- Speeding can cause serious injuries. As an Alpharetta car accident lawyer can confirm, the faster you are driving, the more serious injuries you can cause during an accident. For example, you may be more likely to hit your head on the steering wheel or other object and sustain a brain injury. You can also suffer whiplash, spinal cord injuries or broken bones.
Steps to Take If You Were Injured in a Speeding Accident
If you sustained injuries during a speeding accident, it’s important to know what to do next.
- Contact the police. After an accident, police officers may come to the scene and file a report. The report may include important information about the car accident, such as where and when the accident occurred and the names of everyone involved. This report can serve as evidence for your case, so remember to get a copy.
- Take photos of the accident scene. Photos are one of the best pieces of evidence you can have for your car accident claim. As such, take photos of the accident scene, including the vehicles involved in the crash, skid marks on the road and traffic signs.
- Seek medical care. Speeding car crashes can result in severe injuries, so don’t delay medical care. A doctor should properly diagnose your injuries and then advise on the proper treatment.
- Consult a lawyer. Car accident claims can be quite complex, so it’s wise to have an experienced lawyer on your side. He or she will know the true value of your case and fight for a fair settlement.
Schedule a consultation with an Alpharetta car accident lawyer from Hernan Law Firm.
How Do I Get the Compensation I Deserve for My Car Accident Injuries?
An Alpharetta, GA car accident lawyer knows that many car accident victims who are injured because of someone else’s negligence often do not know how they should go about obtaining the financial compensation they may be entitled to for the losses they have suffered. At Hernan Law Firm, we aggressively advocate for all car accident victims and can help you get the damages you deserve.
Car Accident Claims
Like many car accident victims, you may have already filed an injury claim with the other driver’s insurance company. And just like many car accident victims, you may be frustrated over the insurance company dragging their feet in processing your claim or offering you far less than what your injuries have cost you for treatment. In the meantime, medical bills are piling up. Other bills may also be piling up if you have been unable to work because of those injuries.
Even if you have already filed a claim, an Alpharetta car accident lawyer can still help. A member of our legal team can take over negotiations with the insurance company and make sure they are negotiating in good faith.
The first thing a car accident lawyer will do will evaluate the victim’s losses and come up with a total dollar amount that will cover the victim’s expenses and other losses. Once that figure has been determined, the lawyer will send the insurance company a demand letter for compensation.
The demand letter will fully explain how the accident caused the victim’s injuries, along with a full description of those injuries. It will also detail how the injuries have impacted the victim’s life, as well as the medical expenses, loss of income, and other financial impacts the injuries have caused. Lastly, the demand letter will include the amount of financial compensation the victim is requesting in order to settle the claim and avoid litigation.
The insurance company may come back with a counter offer and then the negotiation process will begin. The parties may also enter into mediation, depending on the amount that is being sought in damages.
If the parties are unable to agree to a settlement amount, the victim’s lawyer will file a civil lawsuit where a jury will decide if the victim’s injuries were caused by negligence on the part of the alleged at-fault driver and how much compensation the victim should receive. It is important to note that even after a lawsuit has been filed, the parties may come to a settlement agreement at any time during the trial, right up to the moment before the jury announces its verdict.
The Value of a Car Accident
An Alpharetta, GA car accident lawyer knows that car accidents can be very expensive for victims. There are often medical bills, lost wages, and car repairs or even replacement. Most people do not have the type of money it would take to cover all of these expenses. This is why Georgia law allows car accident victims to pursue damages in a car accident claim from the party or parties responsible for the crash.
There are different types of damages that you may be entitled to if you were injured in a crash. Your lawyer will evaluate your injuries and other circumstances of the crash, add up the known dollar amount, and calculate a final amount that represents your damages.
Types of Damages Victims May Be Entitled To
Your Alpharetta car accident lawyer understands no amount of money can make up for the trauma and pain you may have experienced during and after the crash, however, the insurance settlement or jury award you receive can help to make you “whole” again when it comes to financial burdens the crash caused you. Some of the expenses and losses that can be included in your car accident claim include:
This can include the costs associated with emergency room treatment, surgeries, hospitalizations, rehabilitation, physician visits, medical equipment, medications, and more. Future costs may also be included.
Lost Wages and Benefits
If a victim is unable to work while they recover, they are entitled to the lost wages and benefits they should have received during this time. If they are left permanently disabled and unable to work, they are also able to pursue damages for loss of future income.
Pain and Suffering
Although there is not an actual dollar amount for the pain and suffering a victim deals with, they can receive financial compensation for the suffering they went through and the impact on their life.
Scarring and Disfigurement
If the injuries have left the victim with scarring or any type of disfigurement, such as amputation, they are entitled to financial compensation for the way these issues have and will impact their life.
Factors that Impact Damages in a Car Accident Claim/Lawsuit
There are a variety of factors your Cleveland car accident lawyer will use to calculate what the total amount of damages you suffered should be:
- Severity of the injuries.
- Type of treatment the injuries required (i.e. multiple surgeries, in-patient rehabilitation, etc.). The more intense treatments needed, the higher the award amount.
- Impact the injuries have on your quality of life. If you are unable to return to work, are unable to do the day-to-day activities you did prior to the accident, are unable able to take care of your family, or even need personal care yourself because of the injuries.
Your Cleveland car accident lawyer will come up with a final amount and then present that amount to the insurance company. At that point, the parties will negotiate. If no settlement agreement can be reached, your lawyer can pursue a car accident lawsuit on your behalf and a jury will decide the outcome.
Contact a Car Accident Law Firm
If you have been injured in a car accident caused by a negligent or reckless driver, do not delay in contacting Hernan Law Firm to schedule a free case evaluation with a compassionate Alpharetta car accident lawyer and find out what legal options you may have. If the insurance company fails to offer a fair settlement, we will not hesitate to litigate your case in a car accident lawsuit.
Car Accident Lawyer FAQs
If you or a loved one have experienced the trauma of a car accident, it would be in your best interest to contact an experienced Alpharetta, GA car accident lawyer clients can trust.
What happens following a car accident?
As soon as a traumatic event such as a car accident takes place, 9-1-1 should be called. Emergency vehicles such as police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks will rush to the scene of the accident. If drivers or passengers are trapped and unable to get out of their cars, firetrucks will cut open the vehicles to rescue the victims. Even if the drivers and passengers appear physically unharmed, everyone involved in the accident should adhere to a thorough medical evaluation. Whiplash, concussion, and internal bleeding may be present, and a medical professional can help rule out serious injuries.
Why do most car accidents occur?
Most car accidents occur due to the driver’s distraction. All it takes is one moment of distraction for a driver to cause an accident. The most common type of distraction is cell phone use. Whether drivers are checking their email, social media, video chatting, texting, or on a phone call, smartphones can greatly inhibit the driver’s ability to focus on the road. Cell phones are not the only source of distraction as listening to music, eating food, applying makeup, and talking to other passengers can be just as dangerous and distracting.
When should victims of car collisions reach out to a car accident lawyer?
Following a car accident, victims should first seek medical attention. Hospital stays, surgery, outpatient treatment, and prescription medication may all be necessary for proper recovery and healing. All of these medical interventions are expensive and may burden the surviving victims. Thankfully a car accident lawyer may be able to help. When the victim is able, he or she should be strongly advised to contact an attorney who specializes in law pertaining to car accidents. If clients wait too long to contact a car accident lawyer, it may hurt their case.
How can a car accident lawyer help their clients?
Car accident lawyers assist their clients in a myriad of different ways. From handling paperwork, settling outside of court with insurance companies, or prepping for trial, attorneys seek to represent their clients to the best of their ability. Some clients may be confused as to the legal process of pursuing compensation for injuries sustained in an accident. Thankfully, experienced car accident lawyers such as those at Hernan Law Firm are there to support their clients every step of the way. Clients should feel the freedom to ask questions, gain understanding and fight for fair compensation for their pain, injuries, and trauma.
Where should clients go to find experienced car accident lawyers?
Clients should seek a reputable car accident lawyer who is experienced in their field and has a great track record of gaining compensation for their clients. Some individuals find their attorneys through a simple search on the internet. Although the lawyer they find may be good, clients should be encouraged to do their research, and find the best car accident lawyer for their specific situation. Don’t be discouraged after an accident, or intimidated by insurance companies, but hire a car accident lawyer clients can trust, and start your journey toward justice and compensation today.